Maine Shave Project
I will not pretend to be an expert on grooming products for men. I know nothing of shaving brushes and creams. When Maine Shave contacted Blogdorf Goodman to sample their products I decided to create a dream team of product testers.
This team consisted of:
1. My dear father :
He uses an electric razor. He shaves every 2-3 days.
2. My friend/co-worker/Blogdorf Technical advisor Darryl:
He uses a Mock 3 razor(editors note: It is actually called a Mach 3! Thanks Anon for the heads up!) and electric razor. He shaves every three-four days
3. My friend & co-worker Kenny:
He uses a Mach 3 and no electric razor. Shaves every three days.
4. My friend B :
He uses "a blade and some bargain shaving cream out of a can".
They vary in age and skin tone. Some have sensitive skin and others have been blessed with a perfect complexion. My father is 65 years old with Sicilian olive skin. My friend Darryl is in his late twenties while Kenny is in his mid-thirties. Both are African American with sensitive skin issues. My friend B is in his mid-forties with fair features.
The boys tested The Maine Shave Four Step Shaving Ritual.
1. Facial Cleanser: Contains extracts of cucumber, linden, and rose. It also contains witchhazel, natural clays and wheat protein.
2. Shaving Cream: Contains skin softeners and gentle cleansers made from a soap base of palm oil, coconut sugar and shea butter. Other ingredients are sea kelp that aid wrinkling and sagging skin. Natural oils extracted from olives, coconuts, grapefruit seeds and castor rejuvenate dry skin. Horsetail helps soothe and heal irritation while wheat germ and vitamin E provide powerful antioxidants to combact free radicals.
3. Facial Toner: Contains birch extract that soothes and increases skin's elasticity. Linden petal's anti-flammatory properties leave skin feeling fresh and calm.
4. Facial Moisturizer: Contains Allantoin, sweet almond oil, olive oil and shea butter to help with moisture loss. Lemon and orange extract reduce inflammation and rehydrate skin by increasing circulation. Chamomile soothes irritated skin.
Their overall impressions:
All four were smitten with the toner. This appears to be the holy grail product.
They loved the tightening and refreshing effect. It is 100 times better than a traditional after shave product. Darryl described it as having "ice crackling on his face" but with no pain or irritation. I was terrified by this description but I was assured that this was a good feeling after a shave.
B, Kenny and my father all agreed that this was the best product. My father instantly claimed the leftover bottles.
All four were surprised by the performance of the shaving cream. They use standard shaving cream that is thick and lathers well. This formula was a very light gel consistency. Even though it did not lather to what they are used to they all agreed that it gave them a close shave.
The moisturizer worked well for my co-workers. Darryl's wife was pleased with how soft his skin was and the overall performance. Darryl has very sensitive skin. He shaves every 3- 4 days to avoid shaving bumps. This system helped keep that irritation under control. My father also remarked that there was no irritation after using any of the products. He loved how it achieved great results with such mild natural ingredients.
The cleanser received the most mixed reviews. All four stated that it was hard to get used to the "greasy feeling" but it cleansed well and left no residue. My father and Darryl were impressed with how soft it left their skin. B stated that his "face felt like a stranger" and is 100% convinced of the benefits. They all agreed that this was a product that they would have to get used to.
Darryl and Kenny liked the light scent of the products because it did not interfere with their own fragrances. My father enjoyed the light citrus smell of the toner. My father liked that the scent was not overpowering and quickly dissipated.
All test subjects found the four step process easy to follow. Darryl enjoyed spending time on himself. He is the father of three daughters under the age of four. Kenny enjoyed the "old school" shaving process. B stated that it "would be a battle to train myself into regularly using such a (comparatively) lengthy shaving regimen, but I have definitely been convinced of the benefits". My father had no problems with the step process but did find fault with the brush. I am sure he has his eye on the fancy brushes from Bergdorfs.
All four agreed that it "got the job" done and would be worth purchasing.
This is a huge endorsement coming from 4 men.
Visit and purchase from the site: http://www.maineshave.com/
Let us know what you think when you try any of the products!!!!
Trivia: Who is the fella shaving?
photo from Maine Shave and gettyimages
Disclosure: A press sample of this product was provided by Maine Shave